Sunday, June 9, 2013

Original Unfiltered Fresh Ginger Ginger Ale By Bruce Cost

Today's soda was one I originally came across at a restaurant in San Francisco called "Heaven's Dog". When I had ordered it I took a sip and was very surprised. This was the first "real" ginger ale I ever had and I did not know that good ginger ale was not supposed to taste like Canada Dry. I took another sip and realized that although it was not what I was used to, I liked it. It is very sweet, which is nice because it offsets the very strong taste of fresh ginger in the soda. As I said it tastes very much like ginger with a slight spiciness that is present in real ginger. It is very crisp with a nice balance to it. This is one of my favorite sodas and I give it a 9/10.

4 comments:

  1. How is the carbonation level? Since it looks like it has a sediment, do you stir and drink, sip from the top or use a straw, glass? Looks great, I hope I find some, back here on the East coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The product is made in NY. So I doubt you'll have too much difficulty finding a source over there. It took a while for them to make it to the West Coast, and, now that they have, I buy it up whenever I find in stock.
      The carbonation level is low, I'd say. Rather, it quickly dissipates. So don't let it linger too long. The sediment is the ginger. Normally, I give the bottle a few strong swirls to mix it up. Due to the low carbonation level, this won't cause any accidents when opening it.

      Delete
  2. Maybe it's more like Ginger Beer (non-alcohol soda sold in the UK) than Ginger Ale then? I find ginger ale quite tasteless ginger-wise, whereas ginger beer is so packed with the stuff that it makes your eyes water, in a good way..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say this soda is more subtle than ginger beer's constant onslaught of flavor. This product is more subtle and uses real ginger, which you can see has coalesced at the bottom of the bottle in the photo.

      Delete